Friday, April 11, 2008

Fartlek-ing along


Fartlek: which means "speed play" in Swedish, is a form of conditioning which puts stress mainly on the aerobic energy system due to the continuous nature of the exercise. The difference between this type of training and continuous training is that the intensity or speed of the exercise varies, meaning that aerobic and anaerobic systems can be put under stress. Most fartlek sessions last a minimum of 45 minutes and can vary from aerobic walking to anaerobic sprinting. Fartlek training is generally associated with running, but can include almost any kind of exercise.


I've registered to do the Chicago Marathon in October, and the training has begun. Right now I'm mainly running intervals or fartleks, which I like to call them most. Mostly because no matter how often I say it, it surprises Jason and it grosses him out.

I first started running about two years ago, and I've fallen in love with it. I started by running 5K's and 10K's, but then I stepped it up and ran the half-marathon last August. (The picture is me after the run) I've pretty much stayed in "half-marathon shape", if there is such a thing, and so I'll slowly start adding on the miles. I have about six months to go so I have plenty of time. And I figure that if I can do the half then I can do the full, right?

3 comments:

Dara said...

I'm so proud of you! I wish you were here to guilt me into running.

angiecurls said...

Come to Juneau; they have crazy grated stairs all over the place. You could knock yourself out in true Rocky fashion around here.

Or I could. And I have, but the grated stairs creep me out!

And, I love your cute home. Miss you, Morg!

myra said...

Run Morgandi Ruuun! That is so amazing that you're gonna run a marathon!!! I had dreams of being a runner but in real life it played out as a nightmare. :)

Morgandy is misses her friend Morgandi.