Thursday, June 19, 2008

How do I answer this question?


This is the result of my latest long run. Pained joints and blisters (the blisters on my middle toe, and please excuse the non-manicured feet). I swear that I never had a blister until I started reading these training books talking about how bad the blisters can be. I thought, "Wow, I must be really lucky." Nope, I'm now the proud wearer of one.
My last run was pretty long, so I decided to try out my fanny-pack, water bottle-holder-thingy. Yes, I sometimes wear a fanny pack when I run. You can stop laughing now. About a mile into the run, the water bottle falls out; it continues to do so a few more times. So I ditch the water bottle by a light post for later retrieval and continue my run. After a while, I'm thirsty, hot, stinky and sweaty, so I stop at a gas station to buy some bottled water. I bring the water up to the cashier and my total was 96 cents. I pull out my debit card, because that's all I brought with me, and the cashier tells my it's a $5 minimum to charge the card. Okay, I get that, but now I'm realizing I should have brought cash too. So I look at the guy next to me and offer to buy something of his; he refused. I tell the cashier to charge $5 to my card; she refused. In the middle of my desperation, I tell the woman while wimpering, "But I have to have the water." There might have been a few tears accompanying the wimper, I can't recall. Then this other guy watching the whole fiasco looks to me and says, "Why are so sweaty? It's not that hot out there." I pause, staring at him, waiting for the sarcasm and humor to drip into his comment...but it never does. Now, I was not wearing makeup or a skirt or high heels; I was CLEARLY running. It was 85 degrees and muggy, and I had been running for the past hour. WHY AM I SWEATING?? I looked at him and thought of 50 responses, some laced with profanity, and said, "I'm in the middle of run." He looked at me like I was crazy (while I was looking at him like he was crazy). I don't think he ever got it. Out of desperation and frustration, I ended up buying two granola bars along with my water to meet the $5 minimum. Moral of story: Always carry cash. And when some poor soul is sweaty, don't ask them why they're sweating, it's probably for a good reason.

4 comments:

Dara said...

Well at least you have free podiatry.

Mandy said...

This is one good reason why people shouldn't run unless they're being chased. Can we put pedicures on the list for Chicago activities for November?

Dara said...

Oooo pedicures. We won't tell Jason, we promise.

Morgandi said...

Yes, we must get pedicures!