Monday, July 21, 2008

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it

I don't want to give too many details away, just to protect the innocent, but I just have to tell this story. For one reason or another (again I must remain vague) I was looking through a list of names with another person, and we started to go through the W's when I saw the name Whitehead. I pointed and made a surprised noise. You just don't see that name very often. The person I was with said, "yeah, that is an interesting name. I would hate to be stuck with that last name." She proceeds to tell me other funny last names that she would hate to be stuck with. I tried to laugh, but I was kind of dumb-struck. "What's wrong?" she said.

"That's my maiden name."

After a couple of apologies, I assured her that it was no big deal. It's funny when you get caught saying something you shouldn't. It's like the time I was at the zoo with Jason and we were looking at the monkey exhibit...my most favorite animal. There was a monkey who was missing a limb and I stupidly said, without first surveying the people around me, "Look he doesn't have an arm! He's like NEMO!!!" Jason nearly punched me because I didn't see a particular person standing a few feet away. (Don't worry, he didn't hear) To be quite honest, this kind of thing happens to me all the time.

I miss that last name. The laughter, the zit jokes, the prank calls asking for Mr. Blackhead or Ms. Pimple. The jokes are endless.

3 comments:

Gena said...

There's always the Whitehead-Lashley combo if you REALLY miss it!

Dara said...

Don't worry, remember what Ben said about the armless guy at McDonald's?

Morgandi said...

Yes! That was one of the funniest things I have ever witnessed. The timing couldn't have been more perfect.