Friday, October 10, 2008

Week 19 3/4- It's time to see the Wizard now


No, this isn't the way my belly looks now. Imagine this, plus 10 lbs., plus a beer gut, minus the beer. You now can imagine what my stomach looks like. I meant to have Jason take a picture before he left for Ft. Worth, but I forgot (more about the forgetfulness momentarily). This is a picture from when I was 19 3/4 years (maybe not exactly the correct age, but pretty darn close; I was in my freshman year of college at least). Abs, I miss you more than you know. I don't know if we'll ever be friends again, but I sure do hope so.

Now onto the intended post.....


I'm not sure if the title quote is from The Wizard of Oz or Wicked, but it doesn't matter. My life is whistling along to the tune of, "If I Only Had a Brain." Little did I know that when you get pregnant, your brain shrinks. My moment of enlightenment was when I was watching Dr. Oz on the Oprah show the other day. And I quote...

During pregnancy, Dr. Oz says a woman's brain shrinks by about 8 percent. "You don't lose cells. The cells get smaller," he says. "It might be because you're focused on one thing, but the good news is after you give birth, your brain begins to rewire quickly. … Your brain actually gets more powerful than before you got pregnant."

This past week has been especially brainless for me. I walk into the kitchen, and I forget what I went in there for. I'm sure it was for food, but I can't remember exactly what I wanted. I trail off mid-sentence and I forget what I'm talking about. I forget words; simple words at that. For instance, I continuously call strollers, roller coasters. Freudian slip? I don't think so. The baby is sucking my brains out.

So my plea is this. If you see me walking around, clueless and daydreaming, with a dash of abashment streaking across my face, please do the following. Hand me my ruby red slippers, tell me to grab Toto (to which I'm sure I'll reply, "I don't have a cat") and tell me to follow the yellow brick road. I'll happily oblige, skipping through the daydream singing, "We're off to see the Wizard, the wonderful"...what's the rest of that song?

5 comments:

Aubrie said...

I am SO glad I'm not the only one who feels like they are going crazy...and a little stupid.

Gena said...

I'm so glad to know that's not an old wife's tale. I always thought I was so scatterbrained while I was pregnant. If Dr. Oz says it's true.....I'm believing it. Erick is so excited Jason is playing with him tonight. I'd venture to say giddy.

Newberry said...

I watched that Oprah too and was really fascinated by it. It's good to be reassured that you're not going crazy even when you feel like it! p.s. cute picture, I don't think my stomach has ever looked like that!

shutterbug8023 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Danielle S said...

Awwww poor Morgandi. I feel for you. I was the same way when I was pregnant. I had to actually look up an article about pregnant women having a legitimate reason for being forgetful for my husband because he didn't believe me...lol. Oh well it will get better. Now I find myself turning into my mom but that is a whole different issue. Now if I could just stop calling my kids by the other one's name...lol