Thursday, November 6, 2008

I'll just hold it next time.

Normally I work out in the mornings, but I've been going through this weird phase lately of forgetting to set my alarm clock. So I've been waking up on my own with plenty of time to get dressed for work, but not enough time to work out. (Can you make Freudian slips through your actions?)

After a couple of days of waking up late and not running, I decided to switch up my routine and hit the gym after work. So last night I headed down to the school gym (where I work) and started my run on a treadmill. About a mile into it, I really had to use the restroom. This is not out of the norm, and I usually have to take at least two bathroom breaks during a 45-minute run. Since I wanted to save my treadmill, I put my iPod and my water bottle on the little magazine-holder-thingy to make it obvious that it was in use. I dart to the bathroom and dart back only to find about four guys hovered around my treadmill. After an explanation I came to understand that a guy (who missed my oh-so-obvious signals) stopped my machine to start his workout, until the others explained to him that it was still in use. No big deal, I explained. Then I said something I shouldn't have to the four of them.

"I'm pregnant so I have to pee a lot." The first guy turned around and walked away. The second guy had a blank stare on his face that began the minute I said "pregnant". The third guy laughed uncomfortably, and the fourth guy looked grossed out. I immediately stuck my headphones in my ears and continued to run in humiliation.

NOW, I didn't ask them to rub my feet, feel my stomach for the baby's movements, or ask them to discuss their pregnancy woes. The only thing I was looking for was a little understanding. AND, on top of that, all of these guys are in MEDICAL SCHOOL. I'm sure they've learned more about the human/female anatomy than I will ever hope (or not) to know in a lifetime. The word "pregnancy" should not freak them out.

As I was leaving, feeling like a total gross and disgusting pregnant dufus, my knight in shining armour arrived. One of Jason's classmates stopped me on my way out, and the conversations went like this:

Him: "Wow, I can't believe you're running. I guess you're trying to stay fit?"
Me: "Yeah, I'm just trying to stay as active as possible."
Him: (smiling) "You really look good up there."
Me: (smiling profusely) "Thank you."

I walked out of there feeling pretty darn good about myself. I'm sure he was referring to the fact that in spite of my bulging belly and swollen ankles, he was impressed that I was still able to lift my legs. But in my eyes, and I will continue to convince myself of this, he was telling me that I looked good. God bless him. There are still some good men out there who know how to make a swollen, and yes, pregnant lady feel good.

3 comments:

Newberry said...

That is too funny! I seem to find myself in similar situations often due to my talkativeness. I'll say something and the reaction I get from the people or person I'm talking to leaves me wondering if they think I'm crazy. By the way I'm sure you did look great running. I never did that well during my pregnancy!

Joe and Talsie said...

Congratulations on pregnancy from the Downs' family. Good luck to you both. It is an amazing (and sometime awkward) adventure. say hello sometime at www.downsadventures.blogspot.com

Dara said...

At least you didn't actually wet your pants on the treadmill. That would have been way worse.