Friday, October 9, 2009

It's Friday, I'm in Love

I have this new camera and I'm learning all sorts of new things. I have a camera! A real camera. A DSLR. A camera that is my birthday and Christmas gift for years to come. Apertures, f-stops, ISOs, exposures, white balances, bokehs, shutter speeds...these are all terms I never imagined existed. Aren't you just supposed to grab your camera and then point and shoot? Oh right, my cruddy point and shoot is what got me into this predicament in the first place. All I want is to take beautiful pictures of my family. No more blurry pictures with poor quality. 

All I can say is that I'm learning. I take nearly 200 pictures a day and I'm reading everything I can get my hands on. Slowly but surely I'm getting better. Mediocre at best, but better than keeping the darn thing on the automatic setting the whole time. I'm venturing out. But venturing out means you need subjects to shoot. So far, it's been Chloe, Chloe, Chloe, Lash and Chloe. They are tired of me pointing a camera in their faces. And frankly, my 7-month old daughter has started posing. Posing, I repeat! No more pictures for her. Until she does something precious. Which will be in like 5 seconds flat. Vicious cycle. 

Anyway, after playing on the floor with my girl all afternoon, I found the perfect subjects. They do not whine, move, balk, or raise a finger. Perfect. May I introduce you to--

Girl and Giraffe
They look rather mangled, don't they? Let's see if I can fix this. Here's how.

You place Girl and Giraffe nicely by the basket you bought at the dollar store. And then you invite their friends to join in.
 
And then you find a kiddy mirror that's been slobbered on, licked, scratched, tortured and spit-up on, and you take a self portrait. A self portrait where no one can see the ponytail and no-makeup face you're sporting. Genius! Just see if you can find me. Look through the filth and scratches. As far as you know, I managed to get out of my workout clothes that day. Nate and Holly, does this mirror bring back any memories?

And then you practice purposely focusing on objects.

Focus on the monkey. Focus on the glass. Focus on the monkey. Focus on the glass. Do you see it? No? Just keep moving on down the page. Or exit out of your browser. 


And then you see your husband's guitar equipment. And you start messing with cables, turning knobs, retuning the strings, and you jam. No you don't! You just happen to take a picture you like.

And then you start doing things you just shouldn't do.
 
You take pictures of your feet. And you need a pedicure.

And then you put a teething ring on your face.
 
And then you turn your camera off, put it in its case, slowly walk away and curl up in the corner, rocking back and forth. And then you blog about it and show your neurosis to the world. 

Happy Friday. It doesn't get much better than today. 

3 comments:

MaKenna said...

hahahahahahahahahaha. sister, I miss you.

Joe and Lori Smith said...

Morgandi - we miss you! Come back to Chicago and teach piano to Tori and Val. We'll pay you double your previous lesson fee! Think about it. :)

BTW, Chloe is too adorable! --Lori

Tamika said...

I love this post! So funny, and familiar. I do the same thing with my camera except mine ends in frustration because I need a good one like you have!