Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Today, in Awesome Mom News

To prove to you that I just might be the best mom in the world...I present to you this little story...


I was about to pull out of my parking spot at the YMCA yesterday, when I heard,

THUMP.

"Wahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!"

That would be my eldest daughter. Because I'm a complete idiot, I forgot to buckle her into her carseat and she fell onto the floorboard of the car. And she cried and cried. And I consoled (and laughed, and cried) and consoled (and laughed, and cried).

It's one of those things that is not funny (actually, a little terrifying), but totally funny at the same time. Like seeing someone trip and fall. Except that it's your daughter, and I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to laugh at the image of your daughter tumbling from the safety of her carseat.

Here are a few pictures of my girl back in the day.

When she still had faith in me.

Faith that I would at least buckle her into her carseat.

And here's the scene from today. A little wary.

A little scared that she might, at any moment, plummet into the floorboard.
And I'm sure that you're not supposed to laugh at this, but that's just what I'm doing. Because in spite of it being a little scary, it was really, really funny. And because if I don't laugh about it, I will cry. And one more Lashley girl in tears is the last thing we need at our house.

I leave you with a picture of my little peanut. She's happy and content. She's buckled into her carseat. She's obviously yet to experience the ineptness of her mom. But she needn't worry. I'm sure she'll experience it soon enough.

*Post disclaimer: I realize that this could have ended a lot worse than it did. My daughters' safety is of the utmost importance to me. As if that's not totally obvious by this post. I'm taking it as a little wake-up call. I obviously need to slow down a little bit. So that's just what I'm doing. Being extra careful and realizing that I don't need to be in such a rush. My daughters are thanking me as I speak. Or blog. Whatever.

7 comments:

Jessica said...

Well my parents did almost the exact same thing with Riley not too long ago only he WAS buckled into his carseat, but his carseat however, was not buckled to the actual seat! So he & the whole carseat went tumbling! When they told me what happened they were in tears...but the tears were from them laughing so hard. Naughty grandparents! :) hey, it happens.

Tamra said...

I might have laughed out loud -- but only after being sure Chloe was fine...really...it wasn't my immediate reaction at all.

Lulu Cupcake kicked me immediately after I laughed. Apparently she's hoping I learned something from this post, too. :)

The Shoemakes said...

I always thought I was a little wierd because I laugh when people fall, trip, lose the bottom of their grocery bags. Totally inappropriate times to laugh... it's an immediate reaction and I'm just glad there is someone else out there that thinks these things are funny (when nobody gets hurt of course...) : )

Candita

Mandy said...

Oh my goodness Morg! Things like that happen to all of us though. I got Vivian out of her car seat when she was still in her carrier and realized that she hadn't been buckled the whole time!

OK Chick said...

I'm happy she was ok, but yes...I laughed as well. I felt bad for laughing.

Live~Laugh~Love said...

I stumbled on your blog back when I was pregnant with my now 4 month old. I also have a 5 year old daughter. I feel little like a stalker but, I love reading your blog. You crack me up! So hope you don't mind my reading!

I had to chuckle too. Since having my 2nd daughter, there have been more times than I care to mention where we will be halfway to our destination and she'll shout in a panicked voice..."YOU FORGOT TO BUCKLE ME"! The last time was the other day and we were at a stoplight and wouldn't you know, there was a police officer stopped right next to us!

Then there was the time when I locked our oldest in the car on a 100+ degree day with the only 2 sets of car keys we had. Nothing like seeing your 18 month old screaming and crying because you went storming back into the daycare to shout "I JUST LOCKED MY BABY IN THE CAR"!! Called my husband, he came with a hammer, but luckily the police came and were able to break in first with out permanent damage! I can laugh at it now, but at the time, I felt like the worst mother in the world.

Thanks for the laughs. :)

Newberry said...

I can't believe I would even admit this, but I forgot to buckle Max in his carseat at the mall and he slid out onto the parking lot. I heard this thud and I about died. It was absolutely horrible!!! I thought letting Mason roll of the bed when he was little was bad. I know you're a great mom, Morgandi, and you have two absolutely beautiful little girls!