Thursday, March 24, 2011

Hypotenuse for the everyday toddler.



In geometry, a hypotenuse is the longest side of a right-angled triangle, the side opposite the right angle. The length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse equals the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides.


____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I was putting away laundry the other day, when I rounded the corner to find this scene.
Except that it wasn't a bear on top of the potty which was on top of the coffee table. It was Chloe on top of the potty which was on top of the coffee table. And I guess every girl needs to sit on top of the potty, on top of the coffee table with her puppy, cheerios, a bottled water and a book to get the full potty training experience. Because that's exactly how I found her.

The second I rounded the corner, I gasped. Yanked her off the potty and disciplined her. And then I hid in the closet and laughed hysterically for about a minute straight.

Which is how I spend most of my time parenting. In the closet, laughing no less.

What was the first thing that came to my mind while pondering what just happened? How I would keep this from happening again? Why was the potty on top of the coffee table? Why am I such a loser parent? When am I really going to begin potty training? Why is my daughter such a weirdo? Why am I such a weirdo? Why am I in the closet again?

Nope.

All I could think about was my 8th grade Geometry class. Mrs. Rosenbaum. Studying the hypotenuse. And our teacher showing us a picture a student had drawn to help aid in memorizing exactly what hypotenuse means. It was a picture of a guy. On the toilet. On top of a mountain which represented a right triangle. And for some reason, this 8th grader's drawing of a guy using the bathroom tied into the definition of hypotenuse. And she said, "Look at this picture. It's a high, pot, in use. Get it? Get it? A high-pot-in-use. Hypotenuse."

And I distinctly remember thinking what a waste of 50 minutes this Geometry class was.

I will NEVER use it again, I thought.

Well, I guess it wasn't such a waste.

Except for the fact that the only thing I remember from that Geometry class and any math class in general, was a picture of a guy. Sitting on the toilet. On top of a mountain that represented a hypotenuse.

And now I have a real-life example of a toddler who apparently has equated her potty training experience to that of a high-pot-in-use.

Thanks Chlo, for bringing a little education to this house.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

HILARIOUS!!!! I am literally laughing out loud at my desk at work!

OCdeanwife said...

Your girls are much more entertaining than mine were at that age, though I remember spending some time hiding in the closet laughing when they were little, too! Ask me sometime about the only thing I remember from history class -- any history class. It is strange the things we retain. Hope to see you Saturday!

Gena said...

Thanks for having me laughing again, Morg. Way to put your high pot in use memory to use. I will never think of it the same again!

Nicole said...

Heehee, this made me giggle. Good job Chloe!!!

Cara Linn said...

Sorry for the awkward introduction today. I have to say that your girls are just as precious, if not more so, in person. :) Ps- you must have amazing arms. Those stunts you were pulling with Stella to keep her happy were quite impressive. :)