Thursday, September 15, 2011

I'm Just Going to Warn You Now. This Post is a Little Weird.


But you shouldn't be surprised for 3 reasons.

1. It's my blog. And I'm weird.
2. It's about my daugthers. And they're weird.
3. This post is about the fair. And doesn't the fair bring out the freak in all of us?

I should've known that things were going downhill quickly when I picked out my wardrobe. It was hot this particular day and for some reason I decided to wear skinny jeans and a long-sleeved denim shirt. I don't know. It was a random choice. And then I forgot to eat breakfast, which I never do, and I was nauseous, sweaty and feeling faint all day. Short sleeves would've helped the situation. Shorts would've helped that situation. A fan with a water spritzer would've helped the situation. Remembering that I forgot to eat breakfast and scarfing down an Indian Taco would've helped. Oh well.

I give you, Scenes from the Cleveland County Fair 2011.

We started out on the Merry-Go-Round. A little back story about Stella. She is terrified of dogs. Screams at the sight of them. Loves them from a distance, but if she gets up close, she wigs out. So naturally, what animal did we put her on? A dog. She looks terrified doesn't she? I'll blame this one on my mom, even though I told her to put Stella there. Oh well. She had fun once it started and realized that in fact the dog was not real. Poor thing.

Chloe loved it. Because she wasn't petrified of the animal we put her on.

And this is where I started getting weird. I don't know why I felt the need to pose for the camera in such an absurd way. I blame hunger.

I'm not sure how to explain this one. Heat stroke, maybe.

And then we went straight to the hay ride. And we met Santa. It was awesome.

We spent the whole hay ride hearing Santa's story. We heard about how he gets mistaken for Santa all the time, and how he "plays" Santa during Christmas time. I felt like telling him that he's Santa the entire year, but I think he was trying to keep some anonymity. I wanted to tell him that anonymity is impossible when you start the hay ride by announcing your Santa.

Then we went for a tractor ride. Aka, my mom pushed both the girls around while they pretended to pedal and steer. She's awesome and oh, so patient.

Stella rubber-necked Santa for most of her tractor ride. I can't blame her.

She clearly loved it. Mainly because there were no animals involved.

Look at that precious face. She looks kind of scared that the Merry-Go-Round dog is going to jump around the corner at any second.

Stella had a little photo-op with Sonny. Sonny is my mom's mom and I'm so happy we've been able to spend a lot of time with her lately. We all love her so much. Stella participated for about 5 seconds.

And then she bailed, which is her general mode of operation.

After the tractor ride, we went to look at the miniature ponies. And I nearly had a heart attack when Chloe stuck her head in to give one of the ponies a kiss.

But she made it out with all facial structures intact. My heart rate eventually went back down to a normal pace.
We then made a stop for a corn dog. And just for your information, if you go to the Cleveland County Fair you can get a Strawberry New Orleans, which is the ultimate desert. Not dessert. Desert.

But the error was forgiven once I saw the advertisement for a Hot Beef Sundae. Mmmmmm. That sounds delicious and disgusting all at the same time. And I love that.

Despite my nausea and sweatiness, we all had a great time. I love experiencing things with my girls. I think I enjoy things more now that I can experience them through my daughters' eyes.

And I'm so thankful that we get to experience all of this with our families. It's just so priceless.

And I hope that in spite of making Stella ride a dog on the carousel, that she doesn't hate my guts for giving her such a complex. Can't you hear her telling her therapist one day, "My mom knew that I hated dogs, and she just put me on that dog on the carousel without even remembering my fear of dogs..."?

And I hope that the girls still like me one day, in spite of being so weird.
But I tell ya, the fair (and denim shirts) just brings it out in me.

4 comments:

heather hub said...

Your blog is hilarious and your daughters are crazy adorable! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I loved every second of this post!!!

LYNN said...

I guess it says I am unknown in my last post...this is Lynn Valdez.

lene said...

haha, i love your blog! *follow*; check! all the pictures look like they're taken straight from a fairytale! :)