Monday, October 3, 2011

I'm With the Band-Aid


My little girls are obsessed with many things. Shoes, princesses, sing-along DVDs, dolls, cars, shoes, shoes, shoes, shoes, shoes. Okay, you get the picture. One thing I hadn't assumed they would be obsessed with is the brass family. But apparently, you show them a trumpet, a trombone, a tuba, drums (okay, not part of the brass family); they go nuts.

I took the girls to my mom's school for the homecoming parade and football game. We had a blast. I had fun visiting my old high school and the girls had fun with all of the students. As we lined up for the parade, not much caught their attention, but this did.

And as it got closer, you could see the wheels turning in their sweet, little heads. It was as if their heads were saying,

"Noise. Noise. Really loud noise. Bright outfits. Awesome hats. Why aren't they wearing high heels? Noise. Noise. Noise"

And this obsession lasted through the rest of the afternoon with immeasurable amounts of conversation spent discussing drums and trumpets and trombones.

And it lasted through the football game. We sat right by the band, so the girls were in utopia. Chloe got face-to-face with a tuba, and she talked to the tuba (not the boy holding it) in a very matter-of-fact manner.

"Hi, Tuba.

My name is Chloe.

How are you?

Bye, Tuba."

So this morning, I was not surprised when Chloe ran in the house screaming,

"Mommy I hear a band-aid.

Trumpets. Trombones. Tubas. Drums!!!!"

And without any prompting from me (and not a chance that I would correct her calling the band, band-aid) they pulled their chairs up to the edge of the porch and listened intently to our local high school marching band practicing.

And they stared off into the distance, listening to the band-aid.

I watched and thought about how they looked like a little, old married couple; and how they could possibly be in the band one day. And how I would be so proud to raise a band nerd. And how one of them would probably persuade the band director to let them wear heels with their outfits.
That would be one stylish band-aid, if you ask me.

4 comments:

Lea Liz said...

How cute!!! Those pictures aer adorable of them listening to the band-aid!

They are adorable!

Hollska said...

I absolutely LOVE this--and your beautiful girls!! What priceless memories you're recording :) Thanks for sharing. (and their Nana was a band-aid nerd :) Aunt Holly

OCdeanwife said...

Just precious! As the proud parent of a band nerd and an orc-dork, I understand!

Gena said...

I love this post. What sweet little old ladies, and OH MY GOODNESS those photos are beautiful.