Monday, November 28, 2011

Yum.

I had one of those days today. 

A great day. A busy day.  A fun day. A productive day.

But one of those days.

Where you feel like if you spend one more second inside with your children you might combust.

Jason worked late tonight. The second he walked in the door, I made a lame excuse to run to the store.

I needed "groceries".

Mommy really needed a break.

So I went to Crest. Scoured the store for the necessities. As I was headed to pick up milk, Jason called. I answered. And he asked me if I was okay. I said yes, but I just needed to get out of the house for a little bit. He said that he completely understood and that I could take all the time that I needed. He had it all under control.

I stood in front of the milk section and tears came to my eyes. That was quite possibly one of the nicest things he could have said to me. Something I needed to hear. After a few seconds of realizing that I probably shouldn't be wiping away tears in the store (at least my own) I meandered. 

And I meandered right on over to the nut section. I felt a little more at home there.

And I found these babies. 
I figured if I couldn't drown out my day with one of my favorite vices--chocolate covered almonds of any kind--I would drown my tough day with the next best, nutritionally more responsible thing.

After I checked out, I headed to my car, dug the almonds out of my purse, sat in the driver seat, opened the lid and enjoyed the cocoa roast almonds.

I've been praying to God to help me find more balance in my life. To not be so busy. To slow down and really enjoy life with my ever-growing children. I miss blogging. I miss really documenting their lives. But I decided to really hold off with the blog until I felt true inspiration. Never thought I would find it in a canister of nuts. 

I thought that things would get easier as the girls got older...and in many ways that is right, but in many ways I was oh, so wrong. I mean, they have opinions and big personalities and lives that need true shaping.

I don't want to miss out on any of that.

So as I sat there eating my delicious almonds, I decided to head on back home. 

Not because I really, really wanted to, but because I had to.

I had chocolate ice cream in the back seat and I didn't want it to melt.

I never said I was perfect.

Just a little more balanced.