Friday, December 9, 2011

Never too late to be thankful.

Nothing excites me more than the craft projects the girls bring home from school. Especially when it has their sweet, little handprints. Awe, I just love it.

So when the girls brought home their Thanksgiving crafts I was nearly bursting at the seams. (Which was clearly last month, and we're almost to Christmas. Whatever.)

And of course, in the true nature of my children, there was something embarrassing and oh, so funny about their Thanksgiving crafts.

I present to you Stella, as a turkey-


So dramatic, and yet, I feel appropriate for the turkey type. Which she totally is. I'm just glad that I'm not the only one she doesn't smile for when a camera is pointed in her face.

And not to be outdone, Chloe's list of things she's currently thankful for-


And there  you have it.

Panties, of all things.

But I guess that we should be thankful for everything. I've been thankful for my panties on many occasions. Especially when I was four months pregnant, living in Chicago, wearing a flowy empire-waist dress on a very blustery day, walking into work, the pathway fully lined with professors and other professionals' windows, right as the workday was beginning and everyone was in their offices or walking on the pathway, and my dress decided to fly up over my pregnant belly and meet me in the face.

I was thankful for my panties.

And I was thankful for the skirt covering my bright red face.

And I'm thankful that no one ever said a thing about it.

And I'm thankful for my girls. That they keep me on my toes. And that in spite of their tendency to make my face turn bright red, that they make me laugh.

That's what life is all about.

It's what makes me very, very thankful.

And only slightly embarrassed.